San Giorgio del Sannio

The land of flowers and courtesy.

Location

“Whoever looks towards the East from the hills surrounding Benevento will be presented at first sight with the top of the hill on which the ancient Montefusco sits as a knight. On the continuous slope that always slopes down to the countryside of the city, countless villages and farmhouses are scattered here and there, happily showing off the whiteness of their little houses among the thick green of the fields. They, to which the exaggerated imagination of the Middle Ages gave their name, are concentrated together in two, three or four to form a single municipality with one of the larger villages as its capital.

Right at the foot of the hill that leans closest to Montefusco on the southern side, one of these most important villages lies, lost in the upper part among the trees and the slopes of the hill and stretching for a long stretch down into the plain. This village has a name San Giorgio la Montagna. There you can breathe a very healthy and pure air that allows you to see every distant mountain breast that appears to you in the extended horizon you contemplate. the sun illuminates it and always envelops it in light: and the countryside that extends for a long, very fertile stretch will show you in spring all the luxury of its flowers and its greenery with a thousand different shades”.

This is how Father Isidoro Cozzi, in the year 1904, described in his book “San Giorgio la Montagna” (until August 1929 it was so called), today San Giorgio del Sannio. Located about 8 km south-east of the capital, on a hilly area at a height of 390 m. above sea level. with a surface area of ​​approximately 2220 hectares, equal to 22.2 square kilometres, one of the most important centers in the Province of Benevento.



Not to be missed

Religious architecture:

Mother Church of San Giorgio Martire – Diocesan Sanctuary of San Gerardo Maiella, with the adjoining monastery of the Visitation;

Church of Sant’ Agnese and Santa Margherita, in Sant’Agnese;

Church of Santa Maria, in Ginestra;

Church of San Francesco;

Church of San Rocco, loc. Marzani;

Church of San Marco Evangelista, loc. Monterone;

Church of San Giovanni Apostolo ed Evangelista, in San Giovanni a Morcopio (The church is the only remaining part of an ancient monastery dating back to 1130).

Civil architecture:

Risorgimento Square;

Immaculate Square;

IV Novembre Square;

Piazza D. Scarlatti;

Piazza L. Bocchini;

Constitution Square;

Piazza De Gregorio; Piazza C. Bocchini (Marzani);

Town Hall Square;

Piazza G. Leopardi.

Stately buildings:

Palace of the Spinelli princes, located in the central Piazza Risorgimento;

Palazzo Nisco, in Piazza Risorgimento;

Palazzo del Cav. Enrico Nisco, near Piazza Risorgimento;

Palazzo Bocchini ai Marzani, in Piazza C. Bocchini;

Palazzo Bocchini, located on Viale Principe Carlo III Spinelli;

Palazzo Bocchini di Ginestra, located in Piazza L. Bocchini;

Baronial Palace of Aquila, in the Ginestra district;

Palazzo Baldassarre, located in Piazza Immacolata;

Palace of the Ventimiglia barons, in the Sant’Agnese district.

Statues and monuments

War memorial, in front of the municipal house

Piazza Risorgimento, with a fountain with 4 dolphins in the centre, rebuilt in 2004. It was restored for the first time in 1939, enlarged and embellished in 1953.

Marble bust, on a marble capital and plaque, in honor of Carlo III Spinelli, prince of the town, located in a corner of Piazza Risorgimento, with the following dedication:

«Carlo III Spinelli, Prince of San Giorgio 8 March 1678 – 11 June 1742 gave prestige and dignity to the town by magnifying it with works and actions, the civic administration placed in memory 23 April 2003»

Statue of the Madonna dell’Immacolata, in the square of the same name, on a marble capital with the following dedication:

«The civic administration, accepting the votes of the friars minor, interpreting the faith and Marian piety of the people, erected this monument in memory of the first centenary of the dogmatic definition of the Immaculate Conception of Mary.»

San Giorgio del Sannio Marian Year 1954.» In 2009, the local cycling club Velo Club San Giorgio, with the patronage of the municipal administration, placed a sculpture-monument on Viale Spinelli to commemorate the stage of the 70th Giro d’Italia in 1987. The sculpture is placed in the same spot where it was the finish line of the most important Italian cycling race has been fixed.

A bit of history

San Giorgio Del Sannio is a town located on the outskirts of Benevento. The town is made up of four hamlets: San Giorgio, Sant’Agnese, Ginestra (the most important hamlet, which was a Roman alley) and San Rocco, which it divided in the past, subsequently united by Prince Carlo III Spinelli. In the municipal territory there are still the ”old town” plan, Monterone, Cesine and San Giovanni. The districts of San Giorgio, Sant’Agnese, Ginestra and San Giovanni a Morcopio are some of the areas inhabited since Roman times thanks to the passage of the Via Appia, even if the first official dates date back to 1135, with the presence of many coins and Roman relics that suggest a Roman settlement.

An important structure was given to the town by Carlo III Spinelli (1678-1742), who had his palace, a fountain, a warehouse and the new church built in what is now Piazza Risorgimento. In 1720 he founded a monastery of nuns, which then, added to the ancient baronial palace, formed the Salesian Educandado. Before the Spinelli Princes (1677), the town was a fiefdom of the Iamvilla family, to whom it was given by Giovanna II, and then of the Malanotte family.

Curiosity

The Tour of Italy has touched the municipality of San Giorgio del Sannio several times with departures and arrivals.

In 1987 the Giro arrived there and left the next day. In the stage that arrived in San Giorgio del Sannio there was the victory of Paolo Rosola, in the stage of the following day, which started from San Giorgio, there was the victory of Urs Freuler.

After 25 years, in 2012, the Giro returned to the town with a stage start, the stage arrived in Frosinone and the victory went to Francisco Ventoso.

In 2015 San Giorgio once again hosted a stage finish of the Giro, the stage victory going to Paolo Tiralongo.

Tour del centro storico