Faicchio

Where traces of an ancient time merge with the present

Location

Identified by some scholars with the ancient Samnite city of Faefola, Faicchio is a pretty village nestled on the slopes of Monte Monaco di Gioia and Monte Acero. Located in a green valley of holm oaks, brooms, rows of vines, orchards and meadows, due to the proximity of the Matese massif, it enjoys a low mountain climate, characterized by the beauty of an authentic landscape for its quiet and lush vegetation.



Not to be missed

The old village is dominated by the imposing Ducal Castle, built in the 12th century at the behest of the Sanframondo counts and located in a strategic position, elevated above the course of the Titerno river. The Castle was renovated at the end of the fifteenth century, and subsequently restored and partly transformed into its current proportions by Gabriele de Martino, Duke of Faicchio, in 1612. Since then, the Castle was called “ducal” in his name.

The building has the shape of an irregular polygon, with the sides connected to each other by three towers. The structure recalls the famous “big brother” of Naples, namely the Maschio Angioino. Among the most important religious architecture there is the Convent of San Pasquale, located at the foot of Monte Erbano on a panoramic hill overlooking the historic center and the adjoining Church of the SS. Salvatore, typically Baroque, with eighteenth-century frescoes framed by gilded stucco. The other religious architectures present in the municipal area are:

The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta

The church became a collegiate church in 1446. The interior has three naves with two access doors. In the main portal there is an inscription which recalls the reconstruction which took place after the Second World War.

The Church of San Giovanni Battista

Ancient parish church, in 1446 it was united with the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta. It was originally 150 palms long by 100 wide. The building suffered serious damage during the war events of the Second World War when some paintings from Luca Giordano’s school were lost.

The Church of Santa Lucia

Built at the behest of the venerable congregation of the Seven Dolori to be able to carry out their religious rites, it is a baroque church, completed and blessed on 8 December 1727. Located in via Sette Dolori, it is the richest church in Faicchio. Inside there are six majestic frescoes depicting the sorrows of the Virgin Mary, the inlaid wooden choir stalls, a statue of the Madonna Addolorata, a dead Christ of the Neapolitan school and the statue of Saint Lucia, the work of the Neapolitan sculptor Antonio Tafuri 1810, which, as popular tradition dictates, is carried in procession on the first Sunday of August.

Given its enviable position, Faicchio is also the starting point for numerous naturalistic excursions throughout the area of ​​the Matese Regional Park, in particular towards the summit of Mount Acero, where the three kilometers of megalithic walls from the Oscan age are clearly visible. Samnite (6th century BC), included among the greatest examples of Samnite military architecture; or towards the nearby Monte Monaco di Gioia, where one of the most beautiful and best preserved caves dedicated to the cult of San Michele can be visited. This cave of Lombard origin, located at about 500 meters above sea level, has a semicircular opening six meters high and beautiful frescoes of sacred scenes dating back to the 12th century, with a clear Byzantine influence.

The thousand-year history of Faicchio makes it rich in archaeological assets of undoubted interest. An excursion to the Roman aqueduct, the Fabio Massimo bridge, the castle or the cave of S. Michele will take you on a fascinating journey through time. Even churches and convents contain small treasures, while parks and woods invite relaxation and festive outings in the open air.

History

The municipal territory of Faicchio has been inhabited since prehistoric times as evidenced by some finds found in the Odi district and the Casali district, consisting of some spearheads and some arrowheads, currently preserved in the Sannio museum in Benevento. It was the site of a Roman settlement as evidenced by the remains of an aqueduct, a cryptoporticus and a bridge from that era. The Samnites used the Arce of Monte Acero for its strategic position in order to control the entire valley, building a huge surrounding wall. The territory of Faicchio was a battlefield for many clashes in the Samnite wars and at the center of an important maneuver carried out by Hannibal to conquer the Campania plain. After the fall of the Roman Empire the primitive nucleus expanded around the castle. In 1151 the fiefdom came into the possession of Guglielmo I Sanframondo, while the last feudal family was that of the De Martino. Various peripheral nuclei, districts and hamlets have developed around the village.

Curiosity

A country of traditions, cults and festivals, Faicchio is also known for the beautiful Medieval Festival, which has the imposing Palazzo Ducale as a backdrop, and for the Wheat Festival: rediscovery of the traditions and values ​​of the peasant culture of the Samnite hinterland of 1950s.

A magical place to visit, where history, nature, traditions and ancient flavors blend impeccably.